SMRU Hong Kong
SMRU Hong Kong provides expert advice on impact assessment and mitigation monitoring for marine mammals. Whales, dolphins and porpoises are particularly sensitive to marine projects and are protected under local and international legislation. Worldwide, dedicated staff provide expert advice to industry and government on best practices to fulfill these regulatory requirements. The team includes expertise in marine mammals and underwater acoustics. As part of a worldwide entity, the local team can utilise its global expertise to include advise on other oceanic processes this providing multi-disciplinary advice. The global team prides itself in its internal collaboration and cohesion, thus ensuring comprehensive advice and assessment is available. The Hong Kong office have worked on several major infrastructure projects, including the Hong Kong Zhuhai Macau Bridge, the Third Runway at Hong Kong Airport and the Integrated Waste Management Facility. Outside Hong Kong, the team have also worked on offshore energy projects. In particular, the Hong Kong team focus on the development and implementation of mitigation strategies, the provision of expert marine mammal scientists and observers. SMRU Hong Kong also has projects in other countries in Asia.
SMRU Hong Kong provides advice and expertise to:
- Industry and Government to assist with managing environmental risks,
- Government to provide critical assessments of the impact of marine developments,
- EIA design and implementation including monitoring and mitigation programmes and provision of expert interpretation,
- Data reviews and assessments using an inhouse global multi-species database,
- Predictive modelling on construction and operational noise from marine activities